Friday, March 17, 2017

Lead sources in AZ schools are being identified and removed

STATE CAPITOL, PHOENIX – Senator Catherine Miranda has been alerted by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) that three drinking water samples from Amy Houston Academy in the Roosevelt School District showed levels exceeding the federal lead drinking water standard.

The samples were taken as part of ADEQ's Public School Drinking Water Lead Screening Program, which is testing schools statewide.
Sen. Miranda

"The safety of our children is always my greatest priority, so it is concerning to learn the students of Amy Houston Academy may have been exposed to lead in their drinking water," said Senator Miranda. "I have requested ADEQ keep me updated on the lead testing program's progress and have contacted Roosevelt Superintendent Jeanne Koba and Board President Norma Muñoz to confirm all corrective measures are being taken to eliminate any sources of exposure to their students.

"After years of budgetary neglect by the state, Arizona now has many aging schools in desperate need of repairs. I will do everything in my power to ensure the students of my legislative district can learn in schools that keep them healthy and safe by continuing to be a strong voice for increased education funding.

"I must express my appreciation to ADEQ for their proactive effort to test every school in Arizona and their quick response to inform the public and act swiftly to ensure the safety of our children."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here: