Thursday, January 22, 2015

Miranda elected chair of Latino Caucus

STATE CAPITOL, PHOENIX – Senator Catherine Miranda (LD27) released the following statement on being elected by her peers to chair the Arizona Legislative Latino Caucus for the 2015 legislative session. Representative Juan Mendez (LD26) was elected co-chair and will serve as chair for the 2016 legislative session.

The Legislative Latino Caucus comprises legislators of Latino heritage and legislators who represent a large population of Latinos. The members of this caucus meet to study issues affecting their communities and the State of Arizona.

Sen. Miranda
“It is an honor that my colleagues have chosen me to lead our Latino Caucus,” said Senator Miranda,
who also currently serves as the Vice President for Policy of the National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators (NHCSL).

“NHCSL facilitates legislators from all 50 states and Puerto Rico to collaborate and discuss potential policy that could benefit our Latino populations. Through my leadership in NHCSL I will not only bring back great ideas to Arizona, I will be able to present our state's ideas at a national level.

“By focusing our efforts on education, common-sense immigration reform and trade between Arizona and Mexico, my co-Chair Representative Juan Mendez and I will move this caucus forward and bring ideas to the table that will benefit not only our districts but the state in its entirety.”

With her selection, Senator Miranda becomes the third member of the Miranda family to chair the Legislative Latino Caucus. Her late husband, Representative Ben Miranda, served as co-chair with his brother former Senator Richard Miranda on several occasions.

“My husband and I fought every day for the well-being of our community and I will continue to do so until we as a state can acknowledge the positive impact that our immigrant constituents bring to Arizona.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here: