After reviewing the list, Democratic members found two ideas in the 12 pages that were Democratic ideas: the K-12 rollover and the University rollover.
Here are some items directly from the list compiled by Republicans:
- Cities - take anything we can
- Shift Parks to cities and counties
- Move prisons to Mexico
- Scrap All Day K
- Uncover K-12 teachers temporarily so districts can hire/fire who they want
- Suspend mandated bus service to transport students
- Reduce Medicaid: Cap the number of visits for routine care
- Privatize Mental Hospital
- Eliminate Homeland Security
- Count entire household income for benefits>run MVD/tax reporting/voter reg address against welfare roles to determine household income and catch live-in fathers who are not married to mothers
We strongly suggest that you forward your ideas to your legislators and the Governor, especially if you also do not see anything in the list that you believe helps Arizona plan for the future. (Contact information below.) Strangely, in the dozen plus budget hearings Legislative Democrats have held across the state, many of these ideas never came up.
In contrast, here is a list of strategies that the Senate Democrats released last month.
- Securitization (Lottery or Prisons)
- Agency Fund Transfers
- State Equalization Tax
- DOC Home Arrest
- University Rollover
- DES, AHCCCS, RBHA provider payment deferrals
- TPT Estimated Payment Threshold Change
- Agencies Fee Increase
- Private Prison Fee
- Suspension of Individual Tax Credits
- Suspension of Corporate Tax Credits
- Ongoing Savings from FY 2008-2009
- Federal Stimulus
If you do not know who your legislator is, you can find them from the Legislature’s website or you can contact the Senate Information Desk for assistance at (602) 926-3559 or Toll Free at 1-800-352-8404.
Legislative Website: http://www.azleg.gov/alisStaticPages/HowToContactMember.asp
An email list of Senators can also be found at: http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=S
Governor’s Office: (602) 542-4331 and Toll Free at 1-800-253-0883